TradingCenter VS MS Classifieds Starterkit

Oct 6, 2010 at 4:06 PM

After bulding a website based on TradingCenter and one based on the orginal classifieds starterkit, here are my thoughts:

1. Classifieds code base is simple to understand, TradingCenter uses a complex architecture.

2. Classifieds and TradingCenter offer the same functionality on this moment. (Okt 2010)

3. TradingCenter crew is working on many extra functionality, when this will be release is not clear.

4. Both TradingCenter website and Classifieds website do not comply with WCAG and W3C guidelines

5. TradingCenter has a ton of configuration files, but most of the time the settings in these files do not work. (I am sure the guys are working on this)

6. TradingCenter uses a custom page object, that class is not part of the source code. Where classifieds is plain .net.

I am sure the Tradingcenter crew have the best intentions. But both progress and communication about the project is slow. Also; as far as I can see the TradingCenter crew and my toughts about where such a project should go differ big time. All this drives me to start a similar project. http://oplaco.codeplex.com/

Good luck guys with the TradingCenter project!

Coordinator
Oct 6, 2010 at 6:09 PM
Edited Oct 7, 2010 at 3:40 AM

Hello chefdog, First off i would like to apologise for the inconvenience.

We had conflicts with the source control on codeplex that affected mainly new files not being included in checkins. Development had continued without using Source Control but as we are based in Christchurch New Zealand you may be aware or have heard about our earthquakes recently (1525 total at the time of this post, The biggest 7.1) that have destroyed a lot of our city and most of our vital systems due to pipe's breaking and soaking our machines and files etc meaning we have lost a lot. The only good news is that Our Source Control is remote from Christchurch meaning that all we are left with is 2 servers, 1 Laptop a lot of code and no office's and no longer a team. At least for now. We just do not have the income/funding to do anything.

More on the EarthQuakes

More On Trading Center

Trading Center is a Web Application, The Classifieds Kit is a Web Site. While they both run there is major differences.

1. Yes there is currently a complex architecture to Trading Center as it is a prototype to work out the best way to go at integrating our CMS Core and our Shopping System functionality's into the classifieds kit (without affecting the current SQL DataBase) and is basicly a rebuild also for our commercial version.
  2. Trading Center does cover 30+ Bug Fixes. also the Classifieds Starter Kit does not run on IIS7's Integrated Pipe's.
  3. Agreed.
  4. This is true and is a priority.
  5. Refer to 1.
  6. Yes the Custom Page (TradingCenterPage) is the base class mainly for our real time time bidding controls, I believe the code is all ready implemented to link TradingCenterPage with TradingCenterUserControl's that is the main trick to making this happen how ever the controls are not available yet in the source code.  

Also note the SMPT SERVER does need to be configured in the Web.Config and the App_Data Settings Files best to do a folder search for smtp on the App_Data folder to find them.

And to add to the above line, Why is there so many setting files? SystemSettings is related to the Core CMS being Integrated. TradingCenter.config exists only because it will be needed for the setup wizard that allows you once you have deployed your site to install plugins without taking the site down, install the sql database (hosted or not), Update the site with out it going off line. In a medium trust environment (hosted servers) changing the web.config from the server is not possible (in full trust it causes the application pool to restart) and is why we are eliminating the need for Web.config Settings that may need changed. (this is the approch used by all decent system such as Community Server (now known as Telligent Community)

There are also other files used by the CMS for managing links etc although we have not yet integrated the features, they are coming.

We Initially put forward $35,000USD in a fund in November 2009 for the open source version of Trading Center, to purchase a new server, promote in house a Full Time Project Coordinator and get this project rocking. As you can probably understand that was used to purchase a server and a new development machine (both destroyed) the rest was used to pay out wages.

If anybody has any ideas on how to fund the project I would be interested to hear from you. (just click on my name to the left of this post)

Regards to all.

Oct 6, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Thanks for the updates, will get back to you soon, BTW Classifieds does run on IIS7, you need to set it in the right application pool, that's all.

Oct 6, 2010 at 6:51 PM
Man, that is horrible to hear, best of luck with getting back on your feet.
I will discuss everything with my business partner,... let's see if there is something we can do,..

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 8:09 PM, SpiderMaster <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hello chefdog, First off i would like to apologise for the inconvenience.

We had conflicts with the source control on codeplex that affected mainly new files not being included in checkins. Development had continued without using Source Control but as we are based in Christchurch New Zealand you may be aware or have heard about our earthquakes recently (1525 total at the time of this post, The biggest 7.1) that have destroyed a lot of our city and most of our vital systems due to pipe's breaking and soaking our machines and files etc meaning we have lost a lot. The only good news is that Our Source Control is remote from Christchurch meaning that all we are left with is 2 servers, 1 Laptop a lot of code and no office's and no longer a team. At least for now. We just do not have the income/funding to do anything.

More on the EarthQuakes

More On Trading Center

1. Yes there is currently a complex architecture to Trading Center as it is a prototype to work out the best way to go at integrating our CMS Core and our Shopping System functionality's into the classifieds kit (without affecting the current SQL DataBase) and is basicly a rebuild also for our commercial version.
  2. Trading Center does cover 30+ Bug Fixes. also the Classifieds Starter Kit does not run on IIS7.
  3. Agreed.
  4. This is true and is a priority.
  5. Refer to 1.
  6. Yes the Custom Page (TradingCenterPage) is the base class mainly for our real time time bidding controls, I believe the code is all ready implemented to link TradingCenterPage with TradingCenterUserControl's that is the main trick to making this happen how ever the controls are not available yet in the source code.  

Also note the SMPT SERVER does need to be configured in the Web.Config and the App_Data Settings Files best to do a folder search for smtp on the App_Data folder to find them.

And to add to the above line, Why is there so many setting files? SystemSettings is related to the Core CMS being Integrated. TradingCenter.config exists only because it will be needed for the setup wizard that allows you once you have deployed your site to install plugins without taking the site down, install the sql database (hosted or not), Update the site with out it going off line. In a medium trust environment (hosted servers) changing the web.config from the server is not possible (in full trust it causes the application pool to restart) and is why we are eliminating the need for Web.config Settings that may need changed. (this is the approch used by all decent system such as Community Server (now known as Telligent Community)

There are also other files used by the CMS for managing links etc although we have not yet integrated the features, they are coming.

We Initially put forward $35,000USD in a fund in November 2009 for the open source version of Trading Center, to purchase a new server, promote in house a Full Time Project Coordinator and get this project rocking. As you can probably understand that was used to purchase a server and a new development machine (both destroyed) the rest was used to pay out wages.

If anybody has any ideas on how to fund the project I would be interested to hear from you. (just click on my name to the left of this post)

Regards to all.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (TradingCenter@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email TradingCenter@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

--
-----------------------------
Marco van Zuylen
Marco@chefdog.com
Tel.Nr. 0643064941
Coordinator
Oct 7, 2010 at 3:37 AM

Yes you are correct, I will correct my post (Classifieds Kit wont run intergrated only in classic on IIS7)