Localization

Sep 29, 2010 at 5:31 PM

It would be a real nice to implement a localization feature in the administration section to support displaying the app in a different language. Anyone knows how would you implement that?

Also, anyone knows when will the new release come out?

Thanks

Sep 29, 2010 at 7:57 PM

Localization, depends how you would use it. and what you mean by it:

But you'll need to rebuild the website first! I have done that, because you need to remove all the hardcoded text and put in asp:Label and start building localization files, check this http://quickstarts.asp.net/QuickStartv20/aspnet/doc/localization/default.aspx

About the new release, I have been accepted by the crew as a developer, and I have asked for what the crew wants with this system, is there a goal, release schedules etc. Let's hope we have some replies soon..

Hope this helps,

Sep 29, 2010 at 8:30 PM

Thank you chefdog for your reply,

I guess I would have to rebuild the website. My initial idea was to have a drop down combo (in the admin section) that will let the user choose the language of the site (i.e. English vs French).

To the best of your knowledge, do you know if the current source code of the Trading Center is different from the Original Classified Start-up Kit source code? The reason I am asking is because most of the features that is suppose to be implemented in this version has not been released/completed yet.

Thanks

Sep 29, 2010 at 8:42 PM
Edited Sep 29, 2010 at 8:42 PM

Remember you only need to rebuild the site, not the framework. Take a look here what I have done so far, please do not use it, it is really a tech demo, hope you like it: http://www.oplaco.com
it is basically using the framework, but I ripped out as many as I could from the original example site. 

On the differences between the original classified startup kit and this one, I have the same question......

Sep 29, 2010 at 9:23 PM
Edited Sep 29, 2010 at 9:24 PM

The only way I know is to remove all the hard coded text and put in asp:Label and feed them values from a resource file, I am not sure of what you mean by not to re-build the framework!

By the way, your site looks very nice. Good job. Any recommendation for a hosting company?

Thanks

Sep 30, 2010 at 9:17 AM

Oh the tradingcenter solution is a compilation of class projects and one website. What I ment, was that you could reuse the class projects, create a new website in the solution and go from there.

On hosting, I use a company in the Netherlands and I have a dedicated server running with them. They are not cheap though, so it depends on what you are looking for.

Oh; I just installed the orginal classifieds starter kit: (will try to setup that version on my server as well)

The key features are:

• Searching for Ads. Allow users to search and respond to ads.
  • Posting and Managing Ads. Allow registered users to post and manage ads.
  • Configuring Site. Allow administrators to manage site characteristics.
  • Registration of users.
  • Site administration. The Classifieds Site includes an administration feature users in the administrators role can use to perform administrative tasks

Site Members and Roles

Sep 30, 2010 at 1:16 PM

When user posts a new ad, the administrator does NOT get a notification of a new ad and when he approves the ad, the user doesn't get notification as well of the ad approval!

Did you get this to work? I enabled all necessary settings from the Admin Settings but it does not seem to work

Thanks

Sep 30, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Yess, the original starterkit works pretty good, I cannot publish on my server from where I am working now. But it is compiling. Hopefully I can deploy the site this evening or tomorrow.

Sep 30, 2010 at 5:07 PM

I got the original starter kit to compile and work at some point in the past, I didn't test it fully, and then I saw the Trading Center which is suppose to be (The original starter kit + bugs fixes). If you get a chance to load the original starter up kit and test it, let me know your recommendations and if both apps have the same features or not

Thanks again

Sep 30, 2010 at 9:31 PM

I think I can do better, I will deploy the orignal starter kit and give you the admin username and password. I need other's people view on it anyways. My experience till now; it is much much cleaner as the TradingCenter code. I made some changes to the starterkit (it now uses one database, for membership&role providing, got all the code from the App_Code and placed them in libraries, made a new design etc), and it is running on my development machine perfectly. As far as I can see it has the same functionality. 

Oct 1, 2010 at 12:51 AM

yes sure...not a problem

Oct 1, 2010 at 8:48 PM

I hope to release a test version this weekend!

Oct 4, 2010 at 3:25 PM

Allright ran into some issues, working on some fixes. It is going to take a little longer as I thought,...

Oct 5, 2010 at 1:24 PM

Were you able to get the email portion to work in the Trading Center app? I followed the following link but I wasn't able to get it to email the admin when someone registers or when a new ads is being posted. http://forums.asp.net/t/1565971.aspx

For the original starter kit, it doesn't have solution/ framework source code, just the website. Is there a framework/solution for the original starter kit?

Thanks

Oct 5, 2010 at 3:58 PM

Nope did not try the email stuff yet.

No the original starter kit did not have a framework, but it does have it now :) I rebuild most of the starterkit and seperated the website and a framework. This without modifying the starter kit code.

I only changed little stuff and rebuild the complete website code.

Oct 5, 2010 at 4:02 PM

Wonderful, I am anxious to know which app to start with, the original starter kit or the trading center. Do tell us your findings please.

Thanks

Oct 6, 2010 at 4:23 PM

OK I am done with the classifieds, need to debug it and deploy it. Meanwhile, I start a new discussion.

Coordinator
Oct 6, 2010 at 7:39 PM
Sorry to all for the inconvenience.
  • Localization will be implemented after we get out of the prototype phase and into a development phase. (pretty much thats after the first release)
  • Perhaps one of the developers would like to start wiki page's for Goals, Schedules.
  • All Ideas, Bugs etc should be reported to the Issue Tracker
  • In regards to the email issues and delays refer here http://tradingcenter.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=229828